Provincial sales tax (PST) is a retail sales tax that applies when a taxable good or service is purchased, acquired or brought into B.C., unless a specific exemption applies.
The PST generally applies to:
- The purchase or lease of new and used goods in B.C.
- Goods brought, sent or delivered into B.C. for use in B.C.
- The purchase of:
- services to goods such as vehicle maintenance, furniture assembly, computer repair
- legal services
- telecommunication services, including Internet services and certain digital and electronic media content such as music and movies
- Gifts of vehicles, boats and aircraft
If your business is required to register to collect PST, you must charge and collect PST at the time the tax is payable, unless a specific exemption applies. You report and pay the PST you collect as well as the PST you may owe on items you use in your business.
In controlling related costs we can assist your company in the compilation of information and preparation of sales tax returns.
We can assist you in preparation and filing of HST returns and other government remittances.
- Plan for your HST liability/refund
- Prepare your Business Activity Statements
As always, it is up to you to decide to do the work the easy way or the hard way. In any case, we are always available to answer your questions. Feel free to contact us by email or telephone at 778-865-0009.